Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Cake!

We live in a tiny home with a poorly insulated oven.  This is great in the winter.  You put a turkey in the oven and the heater doesn't run much for a few hours.  In the summer, it's not so nice.  Try to bake something in July and the whole house turns into a sauna.  The only reason I turn on the oven in the summer is to make pie or the occasional emergency frozen pizza.

This means our summer is mostly devoid of cakes, muffins, brownies or cookies, since I don't stock much in the way or store bought baked goods.  Not that it's such a terrible thing, but every so often you want a little baked good.

Finally I have discovered the solution!  Making cake in the electric skillet.  I don't know why it took me so long to think of it, my grandmother made pineapple upside down cakes in her electric skillet.  It was one of my favorite cakes as a child, sweet buttery pineapple with maraschino cherries under golden sponge cake.

This weekend I made a berry cake, frozen mixed berries under a yellow cake.  I cooked it on medium low for about 20 minutes and it was delicious.  It had the texture of an English pudding since it was a little bit more steamed than baked, but it was yummy.  This weekend I'll try something chocolate.  

The kiddos enjoyed a little cake, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment